Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Bag it: Bigger the better

The bigger the better seems to be the latest fashion mantra. This summer big, voluminous handbags have virtually replaced tiny pouches and wallets in offices, colleges and parties alike. So, we have huge bags in leather, jute, mattie and other materials in striking metallic shades of silver, golden, magenta, copper and the likes with big semi precious stones, huge bows and flowers. This chic clutter-carrier is a must-have for would-be fashionistas.And why not? The Summer Spring collection 2008 was titled ‘Big’ so here we have oversized bags, shoes, belts and earrings. Says model Sheetal Menon, “Remember, the Spring/Summer 2008 collection was titled ‘Big’? Now big and voluminous accessories will make their presence felt everywhere. Big bags, chunky jewellery, etc will dominate the fashion scene this season. Personally, I love big bags since they are extremely convenient. I can carry almost everything of my use – right from a water bottle to books to cosmetics. I love silver, golden, brown and green though my favourite is the big black colour bag in sheep leather.” For actress Shreya Saran, trendy big bags have come as a reliever as she used to carry a mini suitcase with her while travelling. She says, “Big bags are a must for me as I need to travel a lot. Earlier, I used to carry a mini suitcase with me. But now that I have a chic looking big bag, I just dump everything in it – be it my I-pod, cell phone, water bottle, books or my small makeup kit. These days I am flaunting a really smart black handbag which looks both formal and casual at the same time.” Trendsetters believe that the size of these accessories will get even bigger in the coming season. Prominent fashion designer of Kolkata, Suchismita Das Gupta, says, “Big size bags in the beach look are in these days. Metallic shades in all colours and especially gold, silver and copper are seen almost everywhere. In fact, next year, I see much bigger bags. Everything fashionable right from earrings, hair accessories to bags to belts, everything will just get bigger.” Not just models and actors but our city girls too have fallen for these big bags! Programming head of one of the popular radio channels, Ruchika Arora, says, “Big bags not just look trendy but they are super comfy as well. Whether it is monsoon or summer, you just put in your umbrella, water bottle, snacks, sunscreen and just about everything you wish to keep with yourself. I have a huge bag with a very sporty look.” These bags are also a great help for women with young children. All those pockets and compartments provide great storage space for items they can’t leave home without! Ravina Wadhawan, who recently had twin daughters, says, “I have to literally carry the entire household along with my twins. I have bought a very fancy pink metallic bag with two big roses embroidered on it. So, it serves both the purposes!” Call it flashy, loud, gaudy or a necessity, but the craze for big bags is here to stay!

No comments: